Thread: WEC New Perrin LMP1 !
View Single Post
Old 26 May 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3253696)   #95
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I was under the impression that they didn't have any sponsorship at all, and therefore they choose the pig-livery. Not that there were no sponsornames on the car because they found the car pig-ugly.

I seem to remember reading the full Pink Pig story in Motor Sport a while back, and having quickly checked in Norbert Singer's book (24:16, well worth a read) I think the principle was that the got the French aerodynamicists at SERA to come up with a body kit for the 917 (the 917-20) it ended up being painted with the butcher's cut livery due to a level of disparagement about what the car looked like.

Now falling back on memory, I think there was a degree of controversy over how fast it was and what impact the aero mods had on certain parts, which has led to a debate over what it should have been able to achieve, perhaps reinforcing the reputation of the car, which the livery established.

If I can be organised enough I might be persuaded to wear my Pink Pig appropriate t-shirt, which I think a couple of you have seen, to the Saturday morning meet for a quick comparison to see whether the 917 was accurately labelled...