View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2017, 03:15 (Ref:3756826)   #83
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Instead of focusing on the in-car view at 1:06, watch the exterior view and note the lines of the top four cars and relative positions of the cars to each other. Watch from 0:24 through 0:27. Lewis is taking a slightly tighter line than the two leading Ferrari's (probably to protect the inside line). Depending upon how wide Lewis might have run, there is the potential that Daniel could have worked the outside line. Max had rejoined the circuit on the previous turn and generally has open track in front of him but resulted in him trying to catch up and entered the turn in question too hot. He was just going too fast into this particular corner. Especially given the traffic around him. There was nowhere to go by the time he reached the turn "given his lack of braking" and resulting entry speed. It appears that Lewis was going slow only because he slowed to make the turn (also note position of Lewis relative to Kimi). Also note relative car positions and lines at around 0:27 on exit. Everything is pretty normal. Even Max has a relatively natural exit, but that is only because he scrubbed speed off via collision with Daniel.

Short version, Max entered turn too fast, locked left front and slid into his team mate. Nobody to blame but himself.

Note: I am not sure who the announcers are in that video, but one of them (David Croft???) needs to drink less coffee.

Richard
I agree with everything you have said here, I think that Max was so focused on Ricciardo that he never even thought of a car in front of him until the back of Lewis suddenly got big on him. I think that Max could have gone through the inside of Ricciardo and blocked off turn 3 if Lewis was not covering off the inside, not there at all. Totally Max's fault, nobody else's.

Did you see the second Sauber going into turn 1 off the start?!

That got a bit big quickly!

Funny you should mention Croft, I actually muted the TV off the start because of his shouting, unpleasant! Couple of valiums might help him.

Last edited by wnut; 2 Aug 2017 at 03:21.