View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4030924)   #2605
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I still see no nexus between a world wide shipping situation resulting from the pandemic and Brexit.

I also know we are not allowed to highlight the immediate advantages from Brexit but here goes. Notwithstanding a 1983 Directive that has been revised and made more restrictive until now it would have stopped the UK, as it has all EU States, from importing its own vaccines, we did it and are currently way ahead of the game. You can find the directive here: www.europa.eu. This is not Schadenfreude, just fact.

Next, Nissan, one of the major manufacturers in the UK has committed to increasing its manufacturing capabilities in the North East. Both very good news stories. I'm sure Nissan pays its taxes.

Because we are no longer in the EU we can and have put more money into private business as pandemic support than the EU would permit.

Bad news is of course the lack of a market for fish which in part (I agree not entirely) is because restaurants and other industrial outlets have shut down due to covid.

Also bad news is the apparent inability of our customs people to talk to their EU counterparts and define what truckers need to cover their trips. Again though, nobody has given statistics for how much is being delayed compared to the "halcyon" days of free movement. And at this point is it worth noting that due to Covid, border crossings both ways are restricted anyway?

Now, can people point out who in the government is giving out the advice alleged in the above post, or is it another "an unnamed spokesmen for..." situation?