View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2021, 00:04 (Ref:4031014)   #2622
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Mike, I have to say that hasn't been my experience with the Japanese. I've been dealing with a group of them for over 30 years, and I've never found them to be anything less than polite & friendly. Admittedly, my grasp of the language is only limited, but you can usually tell when someone is being derogatory, especially when it's people you've got to know quite well over the years.

Now, maybe it's because, in my case, we know each other through a common interest (classic cars & motorsport), so perhaps a bond exists as a result of that, which wouldn't occur in a normal social or business environment - I really don't know.

But I have to say that when I went to Japan, I didn't sense any hostility from anyone there then either, even people outside the 'car people' group.

I do agree that when dealing with them on a business level, it's somewhat different to dealing with a European, or a Yank, and you do have to take a different approach.

I wonder if your son is dealing largely with people from Tokyo? I can imagine attitudes being different in Tokyo. The Japanese people I know are not from Tokyo, so perhaps that's the difference? If it's not that, then I can't explain it. Maybe I've just been very lucky?
A friend of mine worked in Japan full time for about 3 years in the mid 2000s and described the Japanese as the most “superior” and generally racist people he had ever come across. No idea where he worked but he would recognise Mike’s view.