Thread: WEC BR1 Dallara LMP1
View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2018, 01:13 (Ref:3868878)   #321
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
That is a wrong impression. You can use whatever engine you wish, but if it's a production engine at least 25 (cars with that engine) must have been made by the time the car gets on track. Same for the ERS. But you can use a bespoke racing engine. In that case there are no production requirements, but it looks like you also don't get a few goodies you might get by using a production engine. It's somewhat confusingly put in the rules and certain publications in their haste to say something about the regulations got it completely wrong which doesn't help.
I noticed that too. The rush to be 'first!' had a few sites backtracking their initial article. I was surprised that they put that in there because it made no sense to me and sure enough it was false info, fake news if you will

I also don't think manufacturers are forced to use a production engine either. That would make little sense as well. I kinda like the fact that you can use a production engine but must produce a few examples of said engine in a car. I can see someone like Toyota and Aston Martin using upcoming road hypercars for the select few.