View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2002, 11:19 (Ref:428400)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
How bad do you want wheel-to-wheel racing?

Like everyone here, I yearn for F1 to get some real wheel-to-wheel action back, but at what price are you willing to pay?

Tradition v Action : What is the desired ratio? We have seen from the recent changes that some of us like them, some don't. Some of don't care for tradition in F1, some don't want anything changed.

Max recently revealed what he wanted for qualifying in 2003.

Quote:
Full story available at PlanetF1.com

"If you really want to see overtaking you would probably have to swap the grid round and one of the things we considered quite seriously was - as well as giving points to the first eight in the race - doing the same thing in qualifying," he told ITV-F1.

"But then having done that you would swap the fastest ten drivers round for the race. So the man who was tenth would have no points but he would be first on the grid while the man who had ten points in his pocket, of course, would start tenth and he's got every prospect of coming through the field."
Now this is a little too radical for my blood, and I would die if they introduced it. However, it would make for some great racing. But I'm not interested in artificial racing.

The quote I found most interesting was the final one
Quote:
Clearly if you spend two days of a race weekend finding out which car is fastest and you put him at the front, that car is likely to drive away in the race. The more professional and reliable things become, the more true that becomes.
A very good point. Some of the best drives we have ever seen have been when a top car cuts through the field (see Rubins in Hochenheim 01 and Silverston 02). Starting the top 10 from P11 would provide some great racing, and certainly slow a dominant car like the F12002 running away with traffic to contend with.

So what do you think. Would you sacrifice F1's traditions to 'manufacture' some great racing, or would you rather keep it how it is letting those brilliant red cars run away with it?