View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3063262)   #25
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got home, I can honestly say I've never been to Cadwell went its been that soggy, and I have been there when its been *VERY* soggy in the past (see thehail mentioned above, I attended!)

Classic Clubmans was won by Mark Charteris in a Mallock Mk21, the Historic Formula Ford 2000 race was stopped early due to hail (again), the dip on Park Straight flooded and became too dangerous to race on. Nelson Rowe (Reynard SF79) was leading at the time and the result was declared unofficial pending a re-run at the end of the day (more of which later). Thunder and lightning was in the air for the Classic Racing Cars race but despite a Safety Car intervention early on, Ian Jones won in his Lotus 59 before the hail started briefly again.

Reigning Historic Roadsports Champion Paul Tooms dominated the race from lights to flag in his Lotus Elan, lapping most of the field in the changeable conditions. Simon Toyne emerged from the drizzle and gloom to win the HSCC Historic Formula Ford race in his Lola T200, but inherited the win after Callum Grant and David Wild took eachother off battling for the lead at Park on the last lap. Julian Barter (TVR) defeated his father Charles (Datsun) in the race-long batter for the lead in 70s Roadsports, Julian managing the traffic slightly better.

As the rain intensified, Jamie Brayshaw tiptoed through the puddles to win the Classic F3 race in his March 793. However, the track became more and more wet, and during the green-flag lap for the Historic Touring Cars (Under 1300cc), a Mini and an Imp went off on standing water on the Park straight. A delay for around an hour while Marshals tried their best to get the track raceable, but another shower didn't help. The problem areas were the dip in the Park Straight, and rivers running across the Gooseneck and The Mountain. As the curfew loomed, it was decided to abandon the rest of the days track activity (HTC U1300cc race, Historic F3, Historic FF2000 rerun nd HTC Over 1300cc Qually). A shame but a very sensible decision.

Once I go through my photos, I'll get them up.

Quick snap on the iPhone from Qually though, and yes it was that dark....

Last edited by medius; 21 Apr 2012 at 19:27.