View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2020, 22:58 (Ref:3955751)   #4445
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
Not much evidence of SMART financial planning at Aston Martin lately - their bold second century product plan wiped 75% off the company’s stock value! Fossil-fuelled cars are over. The future is electric and AM is already trailing its high-end sports car rivals by a decade.

If Stroll has any sense (I can think of 2.6 billion reasons that suggest he has) he’ll spend wisely and promote Aston Martin alongside his other luxury brands in the motor racing championship with the largest global audience - Formula 1.

He won’t be the first car company boss to choose F1 over WEC and he won’t be the last. The ACO’s unfathomable meddling has driven manufacturers away from top tier sports car racing and fans have followed. F1 is very far from perfect, but at least fans can find it on TV and make sense of what they’re watching.

With 20+ years experience in F1 it will be a no-brainer for Stroll. No other car maker can justify a top tier WEC program AND Formula 1 - Stroll will conclude that, like Ferrari, Aston Martin is already well represented in the GT classes.
I'm sorry, what? Electric cars are still a niche. Aston Martin is a niche product on its own. Selling electric cars for them is a no go. They don't have the finances to invest in that anyway. Maybe when they get their stuff together they can please the green crowd but for now they have to get their own house in order. I don't think the gte program is on the chopping block nor the hypercar either. I bet someone buys a couple and races in the new season. R-motorsport perhaps.

Last edited by TF110; 4 Feb 2020 at 23:12.