View Single Post
Old 10 May 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3821238)   #93
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/m5k9j7

A few snaps from Saturday. Weather much improved from the sleet last time I was at the Festival. Racing all day Saturday / Sunday a much better schedule. Good to be able to walk across to Coppice.

Walked up the outside of Craners and could just about see the cars through the fence. Makes me grateful for unrestricted viewing at Cadwell, Mallory, Oulton, Goodwood ...
Inside at Redgate down to the Old Hairpin and then along to Schwantz has better fence free viewing options only slightly marred by the outside fence in the background.

One aspect of Donington is that there are quite a few places where walking up a slope gives you a good view of large parts of the track although taking you further from the cars.

The area that hosts the new grandstand is a case in point. The infield offers a view of the Old Hairpin round to McLeans and almost up to Coppice. The Outside at the Old Hairpin gives sight of Holly Wood, Craner Curves, The Old Hairpin and around to where the stone bridge used to be.

Slightly less good but still better then many places offer, the outside at Craner and down towards the Old Hairpin has a high enough bank to be able to see over the fences for Craner, the Old Hairpin and off towards Schwantz.

And finally the raised area between McLeans and Coppice, designated for Disabled in viewing, has (distant) visibility of Craner and the section from the Mcleans approach through to nearly the second part of Coppice. (And close up views of the aircraft plus a clear line of sight directly down the runway for those seeking some alternative entertainment plane spotting.)

It's also not flat and, generally, has mainly green backdrops not unlike Cadwell or Oulton. Certainly nothing like as industrial as Silverstone has become.

I might have included Brand Hatch (GP) in the list above but it seems that too is becoming a fenced in tunnel.

How long Donington can survive without succumbing to the marching fences is another matter. Hopefully a while longer yet.