View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2019, 00:24 (Ref:3915775)   #16
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Speedcafe article said 14 events, not 13.

14 events was the norm for many years in the noughties - comprised of 13 points rounds of the championship and one non-points event at the AGP. The sport was doing OK then.

Granted that 14 is one less than the current 15 round series but I hardly think that reducing the number of rounds by one event means annihilation and a "hand it back to cams" scenario.

On the other hand, WHERE the events are run is quite important I think. If the story is accurate about PI (great track but doesn't draw a big crowd for car racing) and Winton missing out, that would be a great shame and leave Vic with the AGP

and Sandown - but if Sandown is to lose the 500km race to the bend, that would be a really big mistake IMHO - experience shows that sticking with some traditions does make a difference and it would be a great shame for the sport to make the mistake of moving that event before it is forced to by Sandown's much-discussed future closure. I guess it's a case of "money talks" with the bend.

As for handing "it all back to CAMS" - LOL, the confederation got out ouf running it precisely because they knew at the time they were a governing body and not good promoters. Not much change these days really - nothing wrong with the Shannons Nationals as a series but 7 events at 6 tracks and much lower crowds, not a live TV series etc mean that it's not in the same league from the point of view of being a promoter.
Auto Action article references 13 events for 2020

https://autoaction.com.au/2019/07/03...rcars-schedule