Thread: New SUVs
View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2024, 11:58 (Ref:4203142)   #632
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I'm sure there must be a practical reasons. Aesthetics don't usually come into car design
Uh, what? That's pretty much first in many of the designs after safety requirements until you get to high end cars when drag/df/etc are considered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
What is it with so many car designers these days with their fascination for outsize front grills? I don't find any of them to be in the slightest attractive.
Depending on where the main market is there are a few things at work. Pedestrian safety concerns make the fronts bigger and squarer to I guess push them under and kill instead of on to the hood, sorry bonnet. I went down the rabbit hole once of safety design and it was ridiculous to the point of worrying about engine temperature coming through the hood and burning someone hit by a car. My first thought was well the sun made my door so hot I burned my arm on the trim, can't imagine what the hood feels like now. And then to meet US CAFE regs there is a new frontal area to size ratio thing, it's a bit unclear what let's you use that instead of car vs truck but that's lawyers for you. Bigger frontal area means you can pollute more cause you're bigger, yeah you figure it out