View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3920216)   #638
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'll be honest, I don't believe the commentary team. It wasn't long ago they had no idea what was going on with the FCY/SC procedure. It also doesn't allow the leader to get much heat into the tyres, only those behind.
I agree. The commentators are just repeating what their employers have told them. They don't sound convinced themselves.

The irony is that the drivers who get warmed tires are the ones driving like nutters to catch the back of the train before the safety car comes in, since it doesn't always wait.

That is really the crux of it for me. It's perfectly coherent to decide to prioritise the show over the purity of the racing. It's not my preferred option, but IMSA do it and they are open that it is to keep the race close. But IMSA do it right - immediate safety car then pass-arounds and class-ordered pit windows. SRO do it badly - FCY first, then a short safety car, artificially mixing up class races.

They just need to decide and be honest about it. FCYs and slow zones to preserve the purity of the racing, or safety cars with pass-arounds to keep the pack bunched for closer racing. Either is fine (even if I have a strong preference for the former) but the current mish-mash is horrible, neither one thing nor the other.