View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2191395)   #47
Morley Faulkner
Rookie

Morley Faulkner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Allen,

You are correct about the engines. In Argentina they ran the same car in both F1 & F2 races swopping the engines over.
My Mate Bob Walton bought his Lotus 24 in 65/66 and slotted the Ford V8 into it. He worked in the Rootes Experimental Dept so had access to Ford V8's. He needed it as at his first outing it threw a rod. I think Bob sold his Lotus to Peter Hawtin. Bob then bought the prototype Sunbeam Tiger LHD. converted it to RHD. We took this car with us to SA. I lost contact with Bob as he went onto J'burg. I believe he destroyed the engine as it ran out of oil ie; Castrol 'R' and he topped up with a mineral oil.
Dick Soames, all I can remember, is I think he lived around Solihull. I do remember that the door to his garage had a sign 'Pits' on it.
V8's were hard to come by in those days and I wanted a Chev. So I went to Brandon Speedway to see the stock car racing and met up with the reigning UK champ Joe Pratt. He ran a chev engined car with a Rolls-Royce Radiator on it. Joe was great invited me to his home and I bartered him a set of disc brakes for his wife's new Triumph Herald for an engine from a Bel-Air. My gearbox I bought in bits in a tea chest. After scratching my head for a couple of weeks I took it to Jack Knight to sort out. At the time I was a mechanic in the Standard_Triumph Comps dept. and I took Roy Fidlers rally car down to pick it up and got reported by some old coot of a judge for out braking him into a right hander. A sevre reprimand from Boss Ray Henderson. Despite all predictions of trouble with the ERSA it never missed a beat. I did run both engine and gearbox on Castrol 'R. Also my engine was bog standard so it was never under to much stress. I got the guys at Lockheed to build me a 10" twin plate clutch. The radiator came from a Triumph 2000. It was adequet, the problem with cooling was the Chev water pump, not man enough for the job. John, Chris Summers Mechanic fitted a marine Jabsco pump that worked well. I stuck with the Chev pump as no funds for anything else, also the Jabsco took abit of shoe horning into chassis and I just wanted to go racing.
Its been a good exercise writting all this down as it has triggered the memory. I do not talk much about the old Formula Libre days down here in NZ as nobody is really interested, so the memories fade.
If I can be of any further assistance, and keep the thread going, I will be only to happy to do so.