View Single Post
Old 20 Nov 2020, 09:45 (Ref:4017995)   #59
Islander
Rookie

Islander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walton View Post
Hello Islander, I did know Peter Hawtin reasonably well, I do remember him having a Fraser-Nash Fixed Head Coupe a rare beast indeed, I think less than 10 made. He was mates with Reg Hargrave who was a close friend and work mate of mine at Rootes Experimental Dept Coventry, Reg lived in Dunchurch and Peter spent a fair bit of time at the garage nattering to us about cars, I seem to remember him living down the Fosse Way towards Burford, this being only a quick blast down a great road in the Fraser-Nash in those days!!. I sold my ex Parnell Lotus 24 V8 Ford to a fellow from Reading as I recall, he came to my flat in Coventry to have a look at it and wanted to see it running and going. No worries mate, fired it up and demonstrated its 0-60 time of approx.,4 seconds down Avon Street in a quiet residential area. On my return and peering through a cloud of Dunlop tyre smoke he already had his wallet out and the deal was done, those black tyre marks are possibly still in evidence today!! The car could well have found its way into Peter's hands at some stage I am unsure what happened to it after I sold it to the very impressed buyer from Reading. I understand Peter was involved in Youth guidance for wayward fellows, I was unaware of this perhaps he knew his limits and saw Reg and I as a lost cause. This is possibly not a lot of help with your research but brought back a few great memories. Good luck with your venture and stay safe.
Kind Regards Bob Walton Perth, Western Australia
Hi Bob I've gained so much info about Peter Hawtin in recent months, still trying to reach his remaining family to complete the story of this intriguing driver. You said he lived in Fosse Way but any info about immediate family: brothers, sister, parents names? His parents lived in Ruislip where he was born. I've been given C initial for father and possibly Sheila for the mother. Whose garage were you referring to where the chatting took place and what year was this? Any clues you can remember?

Last edited by Islander; 20 Nov 2020 at 10:04. Reason: Forgot some questions to ask