View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3240100)   #13
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I agree, teams like Red Bull, McLaren and Williams are ''manufacturers'', themselves, and some of their technology has in fact ended up in road cars, with of course McLaren being the greatest example.

In years like 1989, Le Mans had far more quality manufacturers than F1 in C1 Alone. Yet F1 was still by a country mile the most popular sport. If people didn't care back then why would they care now?

P1 is no more quality in terms of manufacturers than F1.
It's apples and oranges really.

For all of the 30 or so years I've been watching both F1 has always had a fundamentally bigger profile, and I suspect it always will, but there's still a particular niche to be addressed by other forms of motorsport, be it rallying, touring cars, GTs, or prototypes, and there will be brands where there's more of an argument to made in one rather than the other.

As I've said before and elsewhere, the key decision that people funding programmes will make, it what demographic they're talking to, and what's the best route to get there. Sometimes it'll be F1, sometimes it'll be something different.