View Single Post
Old 17 May 2010, 04:04 (Ref:2692179)   #517
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, then it could be said that the Audi R8 should be much faster than the diesels by now.

Fact of the matter is that the ACO's rules maybe only work for a year or two at best, then the cars become faster than ever. IE, Sebring '09, the diesels had about 10% less power, and all LMP1 cars had smaller wings, but were as fast, if not faster than ever, particulary the diesels.

I just feel that the ACO's temporay slow downs buy adjusting the rules aren't worth it aside from reducing costs from imposing an entirely new engine formula, and even then, as Audi and Peugeot will tell you, the intital R&D cost to get back the downforce from the wing span reduction was more than it should've been if only the ACO handed out smaller air restrictory to everyone for little or no cost.

And what of the ACO legality panels that the likes of Audi, Peugeot, Acura, Oreca, Pescarolo and other made into areo aids? Unintened conseqences, and a conveinet excuse for teams to continue with the pontoon fender front end areo and use the legality panels as areo aids. And don't get me started on the ACO giving teams back the 2002 spec air restrictors when all the cars were LMP1/2 spec.

The only other way that the ACO will slow the cars is with a spec tire, but I doubt that the ACO are dumb enough to go that route.