View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3877927)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall raising these points (no pun intended) from the perspective of professionals driving the amateur out of historic motorsport. Because it seems to me that the professional teams are the ones driving this and it started with Mustangs which were being beaten by Falcons (something to do with headers as I understand it); and thus all of a sudden Ford Motorsport blocks were being used. This permitted higher revs and so along came roller rockers etc.

I think it was one of our number who cried enough and sold the Falcon.

The reliability thing is a two edged sword. I like the idea of points but the only time I've failed to finish due to electrics was when the points broke at Spa a few years ago! So, as long as it's ok to run it, I run electronic ignition in the MG.

The Rover was born with EI so is not an issue. That said I can't believe the "development" I've seen on some of the Group 1.5 cars over the past five years. Things that were homologated in period but now provide much more power because they have the same name but are so much more efficient.

A Group 1.5 Capri engine in its best tune in period was 250BHP, now they are throwing out 300BHP and revving beyond anything that could be done in period.