View Single Post
Old 14 Oct 2020, 07:57 (Ref:4010528)   #1
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Return of the V12

Now hold on. This not a nostalgic dream. I reckon there a sound reasons for going back to it.

The idea of F1 staying relevant on the power unit side to the automotive real world is a fallacy. All mid to high end vehicles will go electric and cobalt free batteries will facilitate it. The only combustion engines will be cheap cars in India (which won't be using any of F1's high-tec ICE technology anyway) and perhaps the odd hydrogen project. So the notion that F1 in 5 years time is still going to add much to the broader automotive world is a dead end street in my view.

So if automotive relevance and development is out of the window, what remains?

In my view you can do two things to keep engine manufacturers on board (and get new ones in):

1 Up the excitement!
2 Strongly reduce cost.
3 Use synthetic fuel to keep it politically acceptable.

There is a perfect tool to do just that:

A 3.5L V12.

That's it, no KERS, no Turbo's.

- 93mm maximum bore to keep it compact and limit output.
- 17.000rpm rev limit to keep power and costs in check and make it easier for smaller independent engine manufacturers.
- They'll probably produce around a 1.000HP.

Cars will get a lot lighter, but not as light as 20 years ago (due to safety measures), so power won't be too much and can be further governed through fuel flow.

So what you get:

1 An exiting power unit: light, powerful, strong sound, exciting to drive and watch!
2 Cheap.
3 Output closer together so helps to keep the field level and easier to freeze after a while.
4 Small and compact, gives more chassis freedom and easier to swap engine manufacturer.
5 Carbon neutral due to synthetic fuels.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.