View Single Post
Old 7 Mar 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3620917)   #33
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=SidewaysFeltham;3620644]Clearly, and strangely, the answer for interstate transport will be, err, trains.

With more localised deliveries from the goods yard to the final destination./QUOTE]

Funny you should say that, and it may be applicable in the States. However, back in the 60s , or was it the 70s, British Rail introduced Freightliners which were supposed to take goods trucks off the trunk roads and motorways. My firm actually used them for a limited period, mainly for goods we sending from London to Airdrie, but that didn't last long. They out-priced themselves, very much like the train companies do now for flexible tickets for long journeys.

Although Freightliners still exists, it is not the same as it was intended, and I believe that the original firm was more or less decimated by the mid 80s. In the meantime, road haulage has multiplied many times over, and still rules the roost in the UK, which I think will continue for many years to come.