Old 25 Sep 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3852531)   #2
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugo74 View Post
So I have a budget at 4k max.

I am very confused about this whole tax thing for older cars, my brother has a mitsubishi eclipse 1998 and he pays 1,2k a year, which I think is way to much for my taste.

So what options do I have if I would like a similar "need for speed type" sport car?

If you guys have any other recommendations for my first car that does not match my description, please tell them anyway. I am open minded and very unintelligent in this whole car world.

Sorry for my english, its late and my it's not my native language.

Cheers from Sweden!
I'd be confused about your taxes too. It seems your taxes in Sweden are based on CO2 emissions, with a healthy multiplier and bonus for diesels. If you want to avoid excessive taxation, get a fuel efficient petrol car is my conclusion.

Don't forget the other big cost: insurance. At 18, that will be very high and you're better off getting something a little cheaper and slower than you might have wanted.

About a year ago I bought my first car at 23. It's a 2011 Renault Twingo 1.2. It's not very powerful, it's not very fast, it's not very big, but above all it's not very expensive because it's lightweight (determining factor for tax over here), cheap to insure and reasonably fuel efficient. When I'm done studying in six months and my budget goes up I might get something more to my liking, but to be honest I can have plenty of fun in my Twingo already.

I would suggest aiming low for now with the idea that you can get something more interesting when your budget increases and insurance companies will trust you with it. Your best option will be something like an A- or B-segment hatchback with 75-125 hp. If you don't care about taking friends, there are some small coupés and roadsters that could also fit your budget.

Your first car doesn't have to be your dream car. Your next car can be your dream car though.

P.S. Is LPG a thing in Sweden? If you're making reasonable mileage yearly, think about getting an LPG-equipped car.