View Single Post
Old 11 Sep 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3927413)   #1789
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Peter, in a nutshell, the argument is that the government purposely closed down parliament so that our elected parliamentarians couldn't scrutinise what the executive was doing behind closed doors.

They are not arguing that the government doesn't have the right to prorogue parliament, but it's the way that it's been done so as to effectively shut parliament for over 5 weeks instead of the normal 2 or 3 days.

Sorry I missed this. Yes, but I again make the point that if proroguation is made illegal then we are all lost. The reason for doing it was quite clear and since the protestors had had three years to do something and had not done so, then the only way to sort this out was to stop them from interfering. If now due to this decision proroguing parliament is made illegal (since the action does not rely on the reason) then it means that the executive can be stopped by parliament in any decisions. That way lies anarchy.