View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3178652)   #346
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS145
As a female who lives and breathes motorsport, I think this is great discussion.

From a female persepctive this is how I see it.

The percentage of women interested in competing in motorsport is just about nil
Women do not have the physical attributes to stay in race cars for long periods of time. They don't have the arm strength, or the core strength. (Generally)
And again generally, we don't have the same hunger to win that men do.
And it's true, women are more marketable than men in this sport, because they are rare to start with, and if they show even a spec of talent, they are snapped up. They bring great exposure to any team.

And once again, generally, Women invloved in motorsport absulutely love it, I know I do. But I am never going to be a front runner, and I don't care. Everytime I get on the track, I have the time of my life. And, thats all that matters to me. As I said, I'm not hungry enough. I just want to have fun.
Absolute rot !!!

Agreed women, in general, will find the physical barriers harder to tackle than their male counterparts but not having the hunger to win - come on...

If you are a true sportsperson you dont go out there to come second, you at least do the very best job you can do in the equipment available. If you don't you are not a serious racer, just someone who enjoys racing (and there is nothing wrong with that) BUT to label all women as not hungry enough to win is just plain stupid. They dont go Drag racing to come second. They dont go Rallying to come second & they sure as hell dont go Kart racing to come second so why should they be happy coming second in motor racing ?

It is true a female hasnt won a major championship in a long time (acknowledging Desire Wilson's Formula Ford Championship as an acceptable championship win) but the presumption it is because they all don't have the will to win is definitely NOT a valid reason