View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:52 (Ref:231598)   #25
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Robert, the photos # 15-25 must be taken at AVUS 1934. I was rather surprised, but nothing in my archive about AU and AVUS 1934 to compare the style of the somewhat unusual font of the race numbers. However, it’s an A type, it’s wet, and therefore # 42 and # 44 must be AVUS 1934. Historical pictures, the first competition event ever for the Auto Unions!

Now it’s getting more difficult. The car with # 22 has been photographed at the same place, but obviously the road is (more) dry. Without doubt it’s a Maserati, and my first idea was a tipo 8CM. But - only 4 exhaust pipes! So it should be a 4CM, but they looked different. So dropping the exhaust and back to 8CM. There was Nuvolari with his privately entered 8CM (remember, quarrel with Enzo that year), but it’s neither Tazio nor his Maserati. Second 8CM was Lord Howe, but his r/n is known (# 48), and then there was Eugenio Siena with another 8CM. But Siena had no (blond?) moustache, and Taruffi was the first Italian as late as 1949 wearing one of these “newfashioned nonsense hard hats”. And then the # 22, not fitting into the numbering scheme of the FL race, plus the dry - or nearly dry - track. So back again to the voiturette race and Maserati 4CM. Only Maserati driver was Luigi Castelbarco, his 4CM1500 # 1527 comes close, very close, but that cars left the factory only on 8 November 1935...! The car is dark, probably red or green, and the helmet as early as 1934 points to Great Britain. No, it’s not Howe, his 8CM looked different, and as said - 4 exhausts only. Anybody able to offer a solution? May be another year than 1934? Or not AVUS but Eifelrennen??

Then we have the Bugatti with # 2. Obviously white, so most probably German entry. Could be Ernst-Günther Burggaller, Leif lists him with # 2, but are these really race numbers or only internal running numbers? If from Sheldon, you should be careful. And if really race numbers, how could # 22 fit into the scheme? And what about the second Bugatti? Race number 26, also white, for sure Photo taken from the same spot? Hans Simons?

The semi-streamliner with r/n 32 or 52, would fit into the FL race numbering scheme, and hence must be a Maserati 8CM. No info on my side about such a converted Maserati, anybody able to help?

What about the Alfa? Looks for me not like a P3 (btw, which Alfas had been streamliners besides that of Moll?), more like a Monza with exhaust on the left and driver on the right. Paul Pietsch? As far I remember the car was privately owned, hence should be white. Another mystery.

Picture no. 25 looks like an Amilcar, color seems to be white, so could be Willi Briem. Race number seems to have 2 digits.

Also strange is the other semi-streamliner with r/n 8. Low number points to voiturette race, so could this be Theo Fork’s MG K3 Magnette?

So, that’s it for the time being from my side. I have to say, very interesting job, even better than 8W. Whole Saturday morning bust, and my wife's on non-speaking terms now.
My general feeling is that this set of pictures has been taken during AVUS 1934, but the Maseratis still are a mystery. May be I have given some ideas for you to continue the research.

PS: Leif, just read your posting about the Monza and Pietsch. You could be right, but what about the Monza picture from AVUS (see above)?