Thread: IMSA Race 2017 - Rolex Daytona 24
View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3708823)   #1951
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_MkIII

Small capacity turbo motors have had success in endurance sports car racing, and indeed IMSA, and the Daytona 24 Hours in the past. I know it was a different era, but those motors were even more highly boosted than these cars. Of course, this little Mazda is expected to go 24 Hours at darn-near 100% pace, with 100% boost and 600+ horsepower. The Toyota existed in an era when they'd tune down from 1000+ in qualifying, to perhaps 750hp in a sprint race, and perhaps considerably less at Daytona, and not have to push for 24 consecutive hours.

With due respect to Dyson, they weren't in 2009 the team they were in 1999, and I wonder if too much was being asked of car and team. Of course, the isobutanol helped cool the turbos, and keep the motors alive - so perhaps it is a technology issue.

At the same time, Speedsource has yet to have success outside of qualifying in prototype. They were power players in GT, but I'd almost like to see them run one RT-24P and one Mk. 30 Gibson, and see if it is the team or the technology that is the hold up.

Chris