Thread: 1000 Miglia
View Single Post
Old 18 Nov 2020, 10:53 (Ref:4017632)   #12
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have done the Mille Miglia twice in 2006 and 2014.

The first time around we just took part in the event completely disregarding the time trials and consequently the ranking. We did that on the advice of fellow historic racers.
With hindsight this was bad advice and a bit arrogant. "we just go as quick as we can and dont bother with stopwatches, thats for sissys anyways"
It was still a great experience, mainly because wildly cheering spectators lined the road to hundreds of miles.
Felt like a huge group hug

Buuut: I felt like an ass turning up at the time trials, not knowing what to do and actually getting in the way of serious competitors, spoiling their chances.

At that time roadbook and regulations were in Italian only, so this explains why we did not understand much.

In 2014 most of the stuff from the organiser was available in English
We understood what to do and with the help of two large digital tea timers off Ebay, a clipboard from Staples and some duct tape for a total cost of 20 Euros we were well prepared.
After the first day, we were 75th in the rankings (from 350 participants if I recall correctly) and had a lot of fun.
We did so well with this basic equipment because both driver and codriver were very good at quick mental arithmetics, and because we gelled as a team.
I precise working speedo would have helped even more, which we were lacking.
We hat a lot of fun that way and did not feel like intruders in the wrong place anymore.
The main difference was: A lot less spectators lining the road, presumably because the Mille Miglia Revival was old news by then.

I am now putting this knowledge to good use in the Motogiro, the motorcycling equivalent of the Mille Miglia.
This year, on my 3rd attempt, I came 5th overall in the Reevocazione Storice class on a small 175 cc Mondial from 1957, quite a feat.
The Motogiro is much much more rider/participant friendly.
Basically we are one big familiy sharing the experience and the camaraderie is wonderfull, if one has problems riders and the organiser will go out of their way to help You
This is different from the Mille Miglia in which some owners of multi million Ferraris and sponsors guests take themselves much more too seriously

The Motogiro has now spawned the Autogiro.
Which seems an alternative to the Mille Miglia
less cost, more fun, less hassle
clearly less glamorous, but more friendly
worth looking at

I want to do the Mille Miglia one more time at some point in my life
I have two eligible cars.
But this can wait.

The lure of the Motogiro for me is 10 times higher than the lure of the Mille Miglia

hope this helps

RudE

Last edited by Rudernst; 18 Nov 2020 at 10:59.