View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2020, 05:25 (Ref:3994881)   #35
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Peter, I would say back pain is common to all cyclists. A big break for me and even though I stretch and am younger was to get through a "fitting" which showed a very significant progress in terms of comfort.

Common mistakes are the position of the clips which can cause knee pain, saddle is another point, although comfy, if too far back it can stretch your lower back constantly which causes the back pain, saddle height is another, low means you will not stretch the leg, too high means you stretch it too much and so on. Then and bars considered, I would say it's better to have a low "drop" rather than too much as reaching means stretching your back and neck to look up as well.

The fact is that from your foot to head, all muscles are a "line" which you should look after. I have come a long way myself trust me.
At 83 i fear my cycling days are over, and if anyone were to ask me what is the one thing I would change if I could start life over, I can honestly say, " should have raised my saddle by a couple of inches much earlier". I used to ride close to 10,000 mile a year, riding to work, and racing, and I always suffered from a severe pain in my lower back after a few miles. I was into my fifties before a fellow cyclist I met 'on the road' one day who said my saddle was too low. I had doubts but raised it by 1.1/2 inches an it instantly cured the problem.

I could have avoided years of discomfort and would have been a much more efficient rider.

Listen to Dudda, is my advice.