View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3009311)   #305
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Your "respect" for her is all to do with overcoming the heavy political nature of motor racing through superficial means, even though her demonstrated ability suggests she is unworthy of being there.
no, that just demonstrates you have a shallow understanding of success in motorsport. of course, wish and dream all you like that it's just down to talent and merit but it simply isn't. never has been, never will be. i respect EVERYONE for their successes in whatever aspect of their lives. success is about a combination of skills, and the fact she's thrashing the guys at marketing herself is something to respect. you don't just see the fastest *man* doing personal endorsements and featuring in product promotions do you? sure, i wish she didn't need to pose in her pants in a mens magazine, but hey. nobody's perfect. nobody's calling out helio castroneves for posing nude in.. was it sports illustrated's body issue? so i'm not entirely sure why we should be calling danica out for it either.

Quote:
Your username? I just noted that it had nothing to do with motorsport or cars. The word "beautiful" does play a huge part in the conscious of females, doesn't it? It does affect what pastimes or hobbies they like, don't they? If you asked all females "What would you much rather participate in, motorsport or learning a new language?" An overwhelming majority who choose to learn a new language, since motor racing is "boring"
so as a woman i should wear my love of motorsport as a badge of honour, rather than simply a part of who i am? i am a person, not what i enjoy doing at the weekends. and really, it's a name, not a word to be translated.

lots of men find motorsport boring, you do understand that too, don't you? or we'd have 30 million men watching f1 coverage in the uk, or a million people at the british touring cars every other weekend. the percentage of women who find motorsport boring is higher, but yet again, you're underestimating the number who actually really enjoy it.

Quote:
No, I don't think cars are designed by witchcraft, I don't know where you are going with that but it's nice to know that you can see an artistic element in designing a racing car.
artistic and creative are completely different things. i actually think what you mean is that women are more imaginative than men. we're far less dependant on having a visual representation of something, we can use descriptions, form our own situations and analyse those accordingly. as such the design, visualisation and creation of a part of anything suits women down to the ground.
it's actually a result of gender stereotyping from a very very early age that women aren't into engineering, physics isn't something little girls in dresses should be doing. as those stereotypes are becoming less and less important, boys and girls are doing what they enjoy and what they're good at rather than what they're 'supposed' to do.

as society evolves, and stereotyping from birth becomes less common then you'll see more and more girls doing things like motorsport. it's not something you can fix straight away, but we're getting a lot closer than you think. once parents stop being horrified that their pretty little girl wants to be a pretty little girl who builds and fixes broken things they'll get over it. it's pretty easy to retain your female identity and be interested in hobbies and pasttimes that are seen by society as masculine. the danger is that then you're stereotyped as a 'tomboy', and expected to dress and act like a man. we can't win sometimes