View Single Post
Old 29 Jun 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3747761)   #4954
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Granted, the whole hybrid thing would make a lot of sense to me if the systems were powerful enough and had enough juice so that the only thing that the ICE would have to do is serve as a generator. Now that would be awesome. That would, both on the track and on the road, serve as a perfect halfway house between pure EV and non-hybrid while eliminating both's major problems, range on EV, and emissions/fuel economy for the ICE.

However, with that being said, on the racing end, if 8MJ hybrids have proven to be expensive and borderline difficult to package in LMP1s with their space constraints as of now, imagine what those issues would be with a hybrid system powerful enough that the only reason you'd need an ICE of any type would be to be a simple generator.
Well, what you're suggesting is a series hybrid (cr Fisker Karma). The main packaging concern for electrics is not the MGU(s) its/themself/ves (<< wow ) but the batteries, although fitting the front motor on the TS050 is a nightmare for sure. With the ICE solely on generator duty, energy is far more readily available as needed, reducing the need for large battery packs. However, there becomes a need to package the engine-battery MGU, and this would cause some potentially odd issues with acceleration vs. top end and regulatory 'interpretation' that I don't want to expound as this is already going to a really long post.

tl;dr- it may work, but it could also be TS020 trunk=fuel tank level nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Are you willing to accept 190mph trap speeds while you're at it?
We needed something to counter active aero's speed increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I don't want my picture on there, I guess I could use a sportscar avatar though
Like this, perhaps.
Odd comparison, I know. I don't use Twitter myself, so I found about what I wanted from clicking similar repeatedly.