View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2020, 13:50 (Ref:3973802)   #2
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very well written article, I enjoyed it even though it was not enjoyable when it comes to its content :P

I agree mainly with it, TCR or TCR+ concepts are rubbish for DTM, TA2 is good for some ameteurish championships but not really for top-level German series. I was for some time into the idea of GT3 cars but then I realised it's not going to work because DTM would lose its identity and I also agree it's tough to imagine DTM with a GTE ruleset because of costs.

What I disagree with, is that maybe it's better to lay DTM to sleep and make room for some fresh things. We've seen these fresh things - Extreme E, FE, electric rallycross - all these projects aren't appealing, they're boring and done just to promote hideous electric vehicles (I know, I may sound old-fashioned but I'll never fully accept electrification of motor industry).

I'd love to see DTM based on cars somewhat similar to Australian Supercars. You've mentioned that both Germans and Australians didn't like Super Touring and they had a reason - V8 Supercars and DTM cars were just more exciting and more 'theirs'. And since I remember, I've kept saying - DTM should stop looking to F1 or Super GT for ideas but rather to Supercars. I know Supercars is also in crisis now but this stems from the fact that Australian car market is very very tough. In Germany it's different and I'd love to think Supercars-like DTM would have the right to exist successfully.

I know these are just fantasies and there are probably lots of 'ifs' and 'buts' and 'cants' about my vision and I'm aware that DTM is very likely facing extinction but I still hope something can be done about it.