View Single Post
Old 20 Aug 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3844954)   #7
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I was competing in Europe before Schengen .
Yes , it did mean a little bit of paperwork doing carnets , but not really any problem .
And then it meant copies to be signed at every border , not just the 1 place which might be needed now .
The only problems came if the Customs at the various borders decided to go on strike , [ like if the sun shone, or if there was a Monday in the week ]. But then I could get it sorted by a quick visit to my local C & E .

Life will go on , Motorsport will continue , imaginary disasters like this is just part of project fear to try to stop us leaving the EUSSR.

sorry, but You have that wrong,
the Schengen Treaty (an EU subgroup, which the UK never joined, hence the current passport controls between UK and France etc) concerns itself with free travel, border controls, and the need or the lack of need of passport checks for travel between Schengen states.

The Schengen Treaty does not cover customs, tariffs and trade law.

Failing an EU exit agreement (and this is by now a likely scenario) UK / EU relations will go to WTO terms. This curently means a 10 % import tax on cars + VAT (7% blanket rate if car is proven older than 30 years). Unless You have a carnet or valid UK road registration and / or can convince EU authorities that the car is in EU only temporary and will be reexported, a bond could be required to guarrantee this.
This by the way can be checked anywhere in the EU and cars/trucks can be searched with no search warrant within a certain distance from the borders (Schleierfahndung). I doubt this will happen in the first 12 months after the Brexit, mainly because there are bigger fish to fry, but who knows.

Interesting aspect: value of many historic racing cars is now so high that intentionally smuggling one into the EU (in other word, a sale withut paying import taxes) could have very severe consequences.

Things used to be different regarding taxes and tarriffs 30 years ago, more lax. I would not count on that in future.

Simons questions are extremely valid especially in the longer term.

And, no, I am not trying to scare anybody, just giving information, that can easily be checked by googling.

As far as I am concerned UK decided to leave EU, triggered the relevant process, so be it. No point whatsoever trying to stop somebody who is keen on leaving, just get it over with.

RuE