View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:28 (Ref:774810)   #4
JP
Rookie

JP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All very familiar names - I seem to remember there were two quick 1-litre A40s in the '70s - Peter Cartledge (?) in the Midlands/North West and Bill Shepherd's "A-Fordie" in the South.

I have fond memories of the Kent Messenger 1-litre championship that ran at Brands from 1972-76 (and an earlier version sponsored by Practial Motorist). The Imps of John Homewood and Ray Calcutt were fairly dominant in those years, but it was fun watching Mini drivers like Steve Hall, Terry Attoe and John Schneider (plus the infamous Mo Mendham) chasing the Imps, and running rings round them in the wet.

John Homewood's success was such that in '76 the series introduced a regulation banning all past champions (i.e. Homewood). However, his place was taken by Rob Mason in a "works" Bevan Imp and within a year the class was all but dead, with many of the best Mini drivers switching to 7s or Miglias.

There was also a good 1-litre series at Castle Combe for a few years - Cornishman Andy Holloway was the Imp drver to beat there.