View Single Post
Old 9 Sep 2005, 00:22 (Ref:1402434)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Automobile Antics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
The fan switch isn't connected to any black box. In fact, it is a "bolt" that is screwed to the radiator and has 3 electrical pins (I assume that one is always charged and the other two are for low or high speed). I had to replace it when I bought the car because it would get stuck and drain the battery. The circuit also hay a "relay" which is a small metal cylinder clamped to the top of the radiator.

Unfortunately I don't have a temp gauge on the dashboard and therefore have to rely on the warning lights. Although I'm pretty sure it was overheating because the engine compartment was very hot.
In a prior post you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
BTW, the cooling fan only has 2 speeds. The highest, which is the one I mentioned, is never used under normal urban traffic. With regular use it just uses the lowest.
The most obvious solution is to force the "high speed" and see if in fact it is working. With the car parked and idling insert a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator (start with ~half, use something you can easilly remove if things get too hot too fast). Try and get a true thermometer (perhaps a probe type, used in cooking) and monitor the actual water temperature (remove the radiator cap) at which the fan operates/changes speed.

I would also question the function of the "The circuit also hay a "relay" which is a small metal cylinder clamped to the top of the radiator." If it is fastened to the to the top of the radiator it may have deteriorated due to heat or it may also have some type of temperature sensor. I think `we' are getting closer.