View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:26 (Ref:3863200)   #18
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Thinking about this in the same way as the feeder championships is probably not the best way to go. This series, if successful, would not likely be a stepping stone the way F4 and F3 are - it'd be more apt to look at it as Australia's IndyCar. (though if the FIA is smart they'd give it a fair shake on Super License points, which COULD give it a boost)

A series that sits atop it's ladder isn't going to be looking solely at the drivers in the ladder leading up to it, after all, especially a series like S5000 that is likely more attractive to tin-top driver than the majority of open-wheel series.

On top of that, as the only modern F5000-like championship in the world, there may be appeal beyond just Australian participants. I personally know more than a few drivers right here in the USA that would happily jump into an S5000 car if they got the chance.

There are two countries in the world that I think can do a modern F5000 series: The US and Australia. If S5000 succeeds I hope we do our own version over here - whether a direct copy of how Australia's doing it, or in our own form(I've got a few ideas in how to make a successful modern F5000 without having to be all one-make about it - probably wouldn't work in Australia, but it'd have a good chance up here).