View Single Post
Old 25 May 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2468978)   #9
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
Guys,

Being devil's advocate, I can see the reasons for the tobacco advertising ban being a relevant for older cars as modern ones. Yes, the car may have run that livery in period, but it doesn't change the fact that (and I am not necessarily saying I agree with this), as long as the brand advertised is still around, and most of them are, you are effectively associating cigarettes (or alcohol, or even prophylactics!) with something 'cool', glamorous, macho etc. etc.

For me, the best solution I've seen, was brought home by a photo report on historic rallying in the last Historic Motor Racing News. There were an awful lot of cars running with 'slightly' modified liveries. The cars and livery were still instantly recognisable to the nostalgic, but were cleverly 'tweaked'.

Examples:

Maritni instead of Martini, Belge instead of Belga, Rotmans instead of Rothmans.

In this way, the letter of the law was upheld, the cars were still instantly recognisable, and everyone was happy(?)

James
You mean like this