View Single Post
Old 13 Oct 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3679810)   #228
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I can't see Gow going for this he is more likely to say that if some teams don't like it go race somewhere else. He will have a long memory when the BTCC was scratching around to even get a decent grid, I remember being at TOCA meetings at the end of '99 and start of 2000 when there was the prospect of only 9 or 10 cars on the grid, hence the National Saloon boys were asked to join and make up the grid.

The BTCC is in a golden period at the moment, but it doesn't take long for things to chance, downturn on the econonmy, ageing cars and not sufficent new build sees competitive car numbers decline, etc. Ironocally if there is a down turn, generally the 'gentleman driver' is better placed to ride it out (there is an argument that those with money, make money in a downturn) where as sponsors and driver investors may dry up.

I agree to review how the harsher penalties work but I can see some teams crying foul if they have to turn funded drivers away because they now don't have the right TOCA licence and if say you made it that you had to finish in the top 6 of a recognised suport series championship to qualify - like Ginetta Cup/ Clio Cup or a similar overseas series how many of the current runners and riders would meet that criteria..
Agree with everything you say there, it really is important to remember just how few cars we had out it in the early 00s. It was certainly enough for me to drift away from a sport I'd loved for nigh on 10 years right the way through my childhood. I didn't attend a meeting at all between 2001 and 2008.

Regarding the current crop of drivers who've shone in feeder categories, off the top of my head:
Shedden - Fiestas and Production class BTCC?
Tordoff - Clios and Porsches
Mat Jackson - Clios, BTCC Production class, Seat Cupras
Colin Turkington - Fiestas
Matt Neal (not sure on this one but think he did alright in stuff before his long BTCC career)
Jordan - Rallycross and Clios
Plato - Single seaters and Renault Spiders
Morgan - Ginettas
Ingram - Ginetta Juniors and GT4
Hill - Ginetta Juniors and GT4
Cook - Clios
Sutton - Formula Ford and Clios
Collard - Champion on short ovals (no walkover by any means), Clios and BTCC Production class
Goff - Clios
Austin - Ginettas and whole array of classic racing

These are all the drivers I would consider to be in the top echelons of the sport. Probably missed some off so please add some more if you disagree. All drivers above have run at the sharp end or won lower categories so I guess that's most of the grid.

I would guess an exception would be Moffat who came in very early, but I think has adapted really well and the main thing has never looked massively out of his depth, so it can be done!

I must say in purely hypothetical terms, if my numbers came up I would want to have a shot at trying to get to the BTCC. This would start with joining a club level single make series and seeing how I go in that. I raced Stockcars on the short ovals through my teens and in to my early 20s with a decent level of success, so I have a good idea of how what makes a race car tick (with lots to learn still, I'm sure). I would then look at moving to Clios, only if I was good enough in Club level racing. A couple of seasons in Clios and the again only if I was running at the sharp end would I attempt to get in to BTCC. I definitely wouldn't want to put myself in to a high profile series like the BTCC if I thought there was even a remote chance I would embarrass myself. Don't really see what anyone gets out of that situation other than getting to sign a few autographs and get on TV when you have your 3rd spin of a race. That's me having a bit of a dream, if only!

I'm not at all against gentleman drivers, I have the utmost respect for anyone that's got the guts to get themselves out there.