View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3756764)   #81
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Instead of focusing on the in-car view at 1:06, watch the exterior view and note the lines of the top four cars and relative positions of the cars to each other. Watch from 0:24 through 0:27. Lewis is taking a slightly tighter line than the two leading Ferrari's (probably to protect the inside line). Depending upon how wide Lewis might have run, there is the potential that Daniel could have worked the outside line. Max had rejoined the circuit on the previous turn and generally has open track in front of him but resulted in him trying to catch up and entered the turn in question too hot. He was just going too fast into this particular corner. Especially given the traffic around him. There was nowhere to go by the time he reached the turn "given his lack of braking" and resulting entry speed. It appears that Lewis was going slow only because he slowed to make the turn (also note position of Lewis relative to Kimi). Also note relative car positions and lines at around 0:27 on exit. Everything is pretty normal. Even Max has a relatively natural exit, but that is only because he scrubbed speed off via collision with Daniel.

Short version, Max entered turn too fast, locked left front and slid into his team mate. Nobody to blame but himself.

Note: I am not sure who the announcers are in that video, but one of them (David Croft???) needs to drink less coffee.

Richard
I think it was like Daniel said. Max had a great start jumping to third. Than he gets screwed by Kimi, than squeezed off by Bottas and than he sees Daniel drive by as well. I think he lost his cool a bit and just wanted to keep that place no matter what especially on a track where overtaking is close to impossible. If he had braked just half a meter earlier he might have still been able to avoid Daniel and it would've been cool to see who would've come out on top out of turn three.

Rare mistake by Max and he clearly felt bad about it. He'll learn from this but I suppose it will always be part of his character. But better people with character than drivers who let people pass on DRS just because everyone does. No use in watching that.