View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2522470)   #48
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I understand your beefs with most. But this complaint I just don't get. I mean honestly. Who were the two biggest rivals 2006-2008? Audi vs. Penske Porsche. Why? LMP2 and LMP1 were eseentially one class. All this single class is is a name change.

Chris
And that was exactly the mistake that caused LMP numbers to drop. The ALMS chose to mess with the class regulations to make it more exciting and please Porsche, causing all privateer LMP2 entrants (the guys these class was made for) to leave.

That caused their dependency for factory efforts which has put the series into its current state. The ALMS has never understood that endurance racing has to be backed by privateers, not manufacturers. That's why the LMS does so well...you have almost no manufacturer efforts there.

The ALMS is set for the future? If Acura leaves, there`s nothing left... the series is grasping for the final straws, wrapping it in marketing BS.