Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3931143)   #1475
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bringing this thread back from deep sleep.

I think one thing FOM needs to find a way to address is to improve interest in the US. I have noticed something very interesting recently with respect to US broadcast of races.

So right now those are being shown advertisement free (and uninterrupted). I think part of that might be it's maybe hard to inject advertisements into the provided world feed? Regardless, what can be done (and I think has been done in the past for this season) is to effectively provide (not sure what the right terminology here is) some type of "event sponsor". Such as... "This race is brought to you advertisement free by McDonalds", or something similar.

What I have noticed recently is that the race broadcast here in the US (I think via ESPN2) does not have "real" advertisements shown in the space that is the lead in into the show. What seems to have been shown recently has been a series of "Public Service Announcements" (or whatever they are called). I am not in the broadcast industry, but my perception is that those are what the broadcaster runs when nobody buys that advertisement slot. I don't know what the rate card would be for F1 that ESPN2 is using, but it seems right now... Nobody wants to put their advertisement just before the broadcast! To me that is shocking for what is a relatively high profile sporting event elsewhere.

Richard