View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3967554)   #113
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Yeah just ask Bernie's ol employees, Charlie Whiting(difficult), Herbie Blash, they did just fine out of Bernie shutting his team down. In all fairness to Bernie, he looked after a lot of people he didn't have to.

I don't think you understood my original reference.In bygone times it was common for the smaller teams to dismiss their mechanics at the end of the season.There was often a vague promise to hire them again for the following season.It certainly went on into the eighties.Compensating employees who have been made redundant was a more recent thing and it only applied to those with more than 2 years in a job.I know the same sort of thing was still happening in F3 in the nineties because the son of an acquaintance finished an apprenticeship in car mechanics and fancied a switch to racing.It was made clear to him that the job finished after the last race of the season.Fortunately by that time he managed to find another job a bit further up the motorsport ladder and moved on seamlessly.

I seriously doubt that Bernie's style of management could come back to a company quoted on a stock exchange.For one thing the "key man" insurance might be prohibitively expensive and for another all the finances would have to be open.On the other hand,if it was taken private anything might happen.It certainly doesn't benefit from being run by somebody who thinks a "Superbowl" is something to inflict on the host nation every couple of weeks.I suppose an American background isn't really ideal because geographically they are isolated from so much of the world and consequently out of step with it.