View Single Post
Old 29 Dec 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3348539)   #38
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I hear you, but my chosen company for the work is Surface Processing Limited in Dudley. I've heard good things about them and although expensive, seem to be the acid dipper of choice of the professional restorers.

By expensive, I'm looking at around £800 +vat for the initial dip/strip. Then I'll repair the holes, and replace panels as necessary and fix the bent front corner and return it for a clean up and their electrophoretic plating process to fully protect it. The latter comes in at something like £1200 +vat

Seems like a lot of money as it still then needs painting, but I received some advice recently from a professional restorer friend which made sense. He said that if I was keeping the car (which I am) then to spend whatever it cost to get the body as perfect as possible, even if it meant I couldn't afford to do other stuff at the moment. His reasoning was that 'bolt on' stuff like wire wheels, seat recovering, carpets, even the engine, can all be revisited later as and when funds become available... but that the body can't be revisited without starting from scratch again.

So here is the body... starting from scratch:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0005.jpg   DSCN0006.jpg   DSCN0007.jpg  

DSCN0008.jpg