Old 30 Jan 2008, 09:36 (Ref:2116886)   #8
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
These are all recently taken and as a result some of the detail I am looking for is missing.
Recently taken? The only picture taken 'recently' in my above post was the final one ( with the later car as it is now, in Nissan's collection ) and even that was taken more than ten years ago. All the others were taken in period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
The car in Kyalami form is not actually shown here but the lowline version seen in the pic's is as it ran one year later at the Fuji WEC race.The last four pic's are of the earlier version pre 1982.
The 'Skyline Group C' ( lowline body ) shots I posted were from 1982 and 1983, and the 'Super Silhouette' ( call it 'highline' ) Group 5 shots were from 1984. The one with the white Coca-Cola sponsored Central 20 Bluebird following was taken at the '84 Tour De Nippon event.

I believe the '82 Kyalami car was an earlier version of the Super Silhouette ( 'highline' ) car, and your Gunze Sangyo model will almost certainly have been based on the later version(s) that were seen more regularly in the 1984 season.

Here's a pic that was originally captioned as being at Kyalami, South Africa in 1982. The book that it was taken from was published in Japan in 1983. I believe that this will have been taken in pre-event testing. Notice the differences with the later 'highline' car(s) - particularly the rear wing. The front end shows similarities to the long-distance spec later car(s) ( functional quad headlamps, slat type grille ) rather than the typical 'Tekkamen' / 'Iron Mask' final spec:

I almost certainly have original Japanese press reports of the '82 Kyalami race, but they are in storage at the moment with almost all of my other '80s and '90s magazines. I will see if I can find that Kyalami article for you, as it is bugging me now.