View Single Post
Old 31 Mar 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2664539)   #1
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi R8/Bentley Speed 8 vs Audi R10/R15 oil sump tank placement.

I was thinking about this this morning, thinking about the Audi R15 and its replacement for next year and that fact that the R17/18 is rumored to be using a KERS system. And I was thinking that a V6 or V8 with KERS would probably weight about as much as the V8 in the R8, if not the V10 in the R15.

It then struck me that the Audi R10 and R15's V12 and V10 engines had the main oil sump tank mounted in front of the engine, while I read that the R8 had a oil sump mounted in it's bellhousing, and that the Bentley Speed 8 series probably shared a similar layout.

Did the R8/Speed 8 have an oil sump tank mounted in front of the engine or was it all in the bellhousing assembly, and aside from weight distrubution, why did Audi go with front mounted oil tank on the R10 and R15?