View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4074040)   #239
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I would also accept that there are corners where drivers' lines and speed are compromised during an overtake - the question is where that acceptable point is and how the other driver compromises you (e.g. opening steering, not turning in on their normal apex to defend, etc).
Good question.
In Supercars it is the B pillar, the back of the drivers door, when you are coming in on the inside. So 'alongside' doesn't actually occur until your nose is alongside the drivers door. Until then he doesn't have to give you room.
In F1 you would need to be well alongside for peripheral vision so I'd think you'd need to to have your front wheels, at least in front of the side radiators, almost wheel to wheel.

In karting the rule of thumb was your nose cone level with the front wheels. Any further back you shouldn't have been in there.

SKAM85's Monza 2020 highlights showed Sainz on Kimi and Sainz on the outside at 100% alongside before turn in and I would think that was almost certain if the overtake was going to be successful.

View in modern cars is not great and if he cant see you chances aren't so good. The outside car also needs a performance advantage Such as Sainz had over Kimi at Monza 2020.

And that was in a straight line, before turn in, so Kimi knew he was being overtaken, and it wasn't difficult for either of them. But that is why there is so much confusion here about leaving racing room, particularly at Rettifilo.

What people are saying is alongside is NOT alongside under the principles of racing. Because brakes are so efficient and road holding so strong what was acceptable in the 80's in F1 isn't workable now.
Efficiency has its negative side and the standards have changed.