View Single Post
Old 12 Oct 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3856326)   #5
Morseman
Rookie

England
Bolsover
Morseman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Marshal

I'm new to this game as well, my 1st season this year, and I've started to pick up a few bits and pieces as I've gone along.

At the TT, as well as an orange tabbard which came in useful back on the mainland as well, I picked up some tips on easily made 'tools' for the job.

One was for making a spreader for the concrete powder, or other powders, that are spread over oil patches. You get an empty plastic milk container, the ones with the integral handle at the top and you cut the bottom part off. Put the screw top back on and use it as a scoop that means you don't have to man handle a heavy bag of powder that is difficult to control.

I always have a hat of come description, in hot weather it protects the top of my head (I inherited male pattern baldness from my Dad!) and in the rain it helps to keep the rain off a bit.

Something to eat and drink is always a good idea. Sometimes I don't bother with making sandwiches so I take some of those cereal bars (if you get them from places like B&M or the various "pound" shops, they don't have to cost that much) there's no chance of them curling up and, if you forget to take them out of your bag at the end of the day, they will probably be still OK next time you are out as well.

I bought a cheap aluminium flask and always put fresh hot water in. I then buy the ready made up coffee/milk powder/sugar packets and make each cup fresh. I get these from B&M or pound shops as well. I don't normally take sugar in tea or coffee but, on a cool day I don't really care that it's got sugar in, probably helps keep energy levels up anyway.

I also have a piece of kit called a Tranger, but always ask the local main, or sector, marshal if they are happy with me using it and I always make sure it's well away from the track as it uses mentholated spirits in a small brass burner. This allows me to rewarm the water from my flask, or else heat up water from a small bottle of water (another thing I leave in my bag if I've not used it so I don't forget to put some in next time). I obviously can only do this during recognized rest periods for the marshals. I've seen people with the all in one gas burner/containers that you can get in many shops that sell outdoor or camping gear. Again, clear it with the main marshal on your section before use. If they are not happy having it about, I leave it in the car and use it when I go back to the car for the rest break. The Tranger is also useful for heating up a can of stew for tea if you are camping and it has a frying pan if you want to be more adventurous and make yourself something for breakfast the next day. I've also taken tins of "All Day Breakfast", they are OK, but don't expect 'Cafe' quality out of a can.

Oh! Put a can opener in your bag as well, don't take it out. I did once and found that one of my cans (some peach slices I was going to have for pudding) didn't have a ring pull top, and I'd left my can opener behind (shades of Three men and a Dog!) so I had to scrounge the use of one from a better organized camper on the site.