View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1483374)   #11
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Devolution of power

The easiest way to move towards what SAM is advocating would be to make the various committees autonomous. Give them the power to compile their own set of regulations given that certain elements (e.g. safety) would have to be standardised. Remove the costly layer of bureaucrats and managers and redirect the money saved to the committees.

With the competitors license fees rolling in why do the various championships also have to pay for the priviledge of running their own championship? Surely the grass roots sports need to keep their hard earned sponsorship cash rather than handing a chunk of it over to the MSA to fritter away!

Onto my list of questions:

1) I have no idea how you could 'elect' members of a committe that have such a wide ranging background that SAM suggests. How would you arrange an election of the representatives for the circuits? Get the various Circuit Managers to vote?

4) I could easily see some 'political' reason creeping in why vetos would be exercised. Before long you would get factiuons forming and there would be loads of back biting.

5) as I understand it only the full timers are paid to attend Committee Meetings, the rest only get expenses - admittedly very generous expenses!

6) I suspect you are confusing the MSA controlled championships with those they have little control over. The main NATIONAL championships (e.g. BTCC) are well controlled by the MSA, the proliferation of championships which results in six car grids to some extent is driven by business. What is needed is a better standard by which these championships are given the go ahead plus the ability to pull the plug when they are failing.

7) I just shudder at the 'GOLD STANDARD' concept. It is just another way to paint over the incompetent way certain aspects of a business are run. By saying something is the gold standard does not necessarily say it is the best. Far from it in my experience. It usually means there has been a reworking of the way things are done, a glossy brochure printed at enormous costs then the whole thing sits in a drawer and is ignored!

8) I do not believe that at Day One anyone could effective close down every championship and make it reapply. You have made the decision that one championship brings in so many new license holders it can carry on unaffected. But who is to say that they are running at their most efficient? For everyone you get right there will be three you get wrong! What you have to do is issue franchises and make the championship organisers submit proper business cases with proper financial packages and then hold them to it. If they fail to make their targets SHUT THEM DOWN even if it is mid season! One failing championship is one too many.