Old 14 Dec 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1483829)   #14
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
The issue is that the "sport" if you can call it that, is still being run as a sport, when in fact, on a circuit, it is an entertainment, and should be seen as that. I cannot comment on rallying as I have no experience in this area, however I agree with your comments regarding the costs levied on small club rallies compared to WRC or national events.

Until the MSA, the circuits, and the clubs, all wake up and realise that this sport of ours is in competition with that dratted invention "footing the ball" for viewers, and does something about it, we are, in the words of Private Fraser, Dooooooomed!
Absolutely. Have finally got round to buying Motorsport this month, and reading John Webb's comments about how he bought the gate at clubbies from 1000 up to 5000. Now I can't remember the last time I saw a clubbie meet with 1000 people there, and most of the crowd are probably there because they know someone actually racing rather than just popping along to watch a good day's "sport".
Every year the CSMA weekend packs out Brands for club races, yet a high profile series such as Britcar struggles to get a few hundred through the gates at the same circuit.

If circuit owners, clubs, the MSA, someone, anyone! got their act together and started to promote motor racing then it could be that all of the manifesto wouldn't be necessary?

Maybe i'm just being naive.....