View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2015, 19:30 (Ref:3562885)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In general the cars will be mostly the same as they are today. But my predictions are…
  • Turbo petrol. Probably still V6 and same displacement as current
  • Complete revamp of the system of PU development freezes. In short, more open to mid season development.
  • Overall more power from the PU, but the majority of that increase will be via a larger hybrid storage system. So it can be used more frequently on track (maybe even in a push to pass scenario, but it will not be called that).
  • Tweaks (slight increase) to flow fuel flow rates.
  • No refueling
  • Single tire supplier. Current system of being forced to use two specs during race is likely to stay.
  • DRS might go away if the extra hybrid capacity allows for more power difference on the straights. In short, some type of system to help aid passing will exist.
  • Less flat bottom to the car. Maybe a new spec bottom that is a non-radical ground effect wing
  • If they do the new bottom, then they will significantly reduce the footprint for the front and rear wings. Those wings will be more about balance than before.
  • No active suspension
  • No active aero
  • Classic/current flappy paddle transmissions. No manual gear shifts (sorry fans of that idea )
  • Manual clutch for start only.
  • Cockpit canopy. Canopy itself will not be a spec component, but some of the release features/hardware will be. Clearly there will be a new set of canopy specific testing specifications (impact tests, driver egress time, etc.) Tough questions about cockpit cooling. I think WEC does cockpit A/C? I expect WEC would be somewhat of a model of how to do it
  • Minimum weight will not include driver. Light weight drivers will be ballasted up to a minimum driver weight.
  • 18” wheels
  • No tire warmers
  • Customer cars
  • No cost cap system (sadly)

I actually thing the above is a pretty radical overhaul when you look at it in its entirety. I could keep stacking on things but it becomes more of a wish list vs. what I think might actually happen. Also I could speculate about race format (three cars, Sat sprint race to set Sun grid positions, etc.), but I think that would be a shot in the dark.

Richard