View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2000, 21:55 (Ref:19450)   #18
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was just wondering the same thing, Craig. I saw the pictures at about 4.20 this afternoon, and I recognised the gantry position of the camera from previous Goodwood videos. Someone somewhere has made a terrible error of judgement letting that tape out.

I'm also startled to note that even if the news media were determined to play it, it was only too obvious that there is a figure in the picture. There are things such as watersheds and standards, even for news footage.

With my aviation enthusiast hat on, I quite regularly have to sit through replays of the latest air show mishap on the news, knowing that someone I recognise as more than just a name was in the cockpit. But at least that is often reserved for broadcast in the late night bulletins. Most disappointed in that lapse, too.

Equally insensitive was the Sunday Times, which illustrated their piece with an image of the smashed tub, and a distressingly obvious blue tarp covering something in the foreground. Totally unnecessary.

Incidentally, I've heard no reports on BBC or Sky at this time to suggest that both marshals had succumbed. Thank heaven for one small mercy.