View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2003, 06:21 (Ref:657595)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
F1 closeness of racing through the years

Sometimes arise the debate about if nowadays F1 car's perfomance are closer (between them) now than decades ago or if the gap between cars are bigger than in 70s, etc.

In order to put a little light on this issue (for my own use) I have done a bit of "research" in "Forixland". I have measured percentage of grid difference between 1st(pole) and 6th position in the even years (to save some effort) between 1970 and 2002. I have used the two most constant circuits: Montecarlo and Monza. In fact in 1980 there was not Monza and I've averaged data from 79 and 81.

In the graph I have put Monaco (red), Monza (green), average of those two (black) and an moving average of this black line (gray). also, Ive put two little vertical lines on Monza line pointing at the introduction of two chicanes in 72 and one more chicane in 76, what somehow changed the nature of the track.

It can be seen that between 1980 and 1995 cars were less close than before or after. Actually in the 85-95 period there was more gap than ever. A sharp decline of that gap happened after 1994 with the introduction of the (in?)famous FIA safety measures.

In fact, from 95 to today the gaps are practically the same as in the "golden" 70s.

As a comparison, I think in CART is typical a gap of about 0.6 or 0.7, well below any F1 epoch, but I have not done any real calculation about it (yet).
Attached Thumbnails
f1_grid_diff.gif