View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3364751)   #5
KRDG
Rookie

KRDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Talk to the local drivers who DIDN'T enter the Hampton Downs Festival... There were more cars at the Taupo HRC meeting the week before.

Apart from the first McLaren Festival (2010) where the South Island representation was brilliant, it has never reached the same heights since.

Grids were much lower this year and not just in Heritage Touring cars either - particularly by the end of the second weekend. I haven't been to the Skope meeting (or Ruapuna), but it is one I'd like to go to, as from what I have seen, they are not at all precious about running diverse cars and I do like large varied grids.

Mid to late January is a popular time for race meetings as many people are still on holiday so it is inevitable that there will be clashes, but only a small percentage will travel north or south, much as many would like to. $$$$, always $$$$
I think you may be being a bit harsh about the success of the HD festival as they did well at the gate even if it defies logic to do the same thing twice over consecutive weekends. This repetition is what keeps people (entrants) away except the local AKL'nders of course.

Remember the bulk of the depleted F5000 grid did three weekends in a row with 2 x HD followed by Skope just as they have for years. So some do it. Everyone talks about the obvious cost of this north/south thing being the big problem for entrants but the time factor is a huge element as well. Especially with these meetings becoming three day affairs. Some are dreadfully drawn out. It is simply not necessary with 200 entrants. If they had 500 entries it would be like the PI classic in OZ.

Shame that the CMC class is not pure historic as it is a great class to watch and they deserve high praise for this and their exceptional organization but detracts from the pure APP K side of a so called 'historic' gathering. Can’t have everything I was once told and isn’t that true.........